STATE OF HAWAII
REAL ESTATE BRANCH
PROFESSIONAL AND VOCATIONAL LICENSING DIVISION DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS KING KALAKAUA BUILDING
335 MERCHANT STREET, ROOM 333 | HONOLULU, HAWAII 96813 http://www.hawaii.gov/hirec February 2014
REAL ESTATE COMMISSION INFORMATIONAL NOTICE
NEW LICENSE APPLICANTS, LICENSE RENEWAL AND CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
All real estate licenses must be renewed by the renewal application deadline, November 30, 2014. All real estate licenses expire at the end of each even-numbered year, regardless of the initial date of licensure. Submission of a complete renewal application, payment of fees, and for active licensees, completion of continuing education courses, are required by the renewal application deadline to ensure the successful renewal of licenses before January 1, 2015. Licenses not successfully renewed will be considered forfeited as of January 1, 2015 and the licensee will not be able to conduct real estate activity or receive compensation.
If you are renewing your license on an active status, you must fulfill the mandatory continuing education requirement prior to submitting your renewal application. For a new salesperson licensee with a new license issued in 2014, see below – SALESPERSON APPLICANTS and SALESPERSON LICENSEES. If you are not able to complete the continuing education requirement, your license may be renewed on an inactive status and you may not conduct real estate activity or receive compensation. There is a $25.00 fee to change from inactive status to active status, in addition to completion of the continuing education requirement.
SALESPERSON APPLICANTS and SALESPERSON LICENSEES:
• If you apply for a new salesperson license before the end of 2014, you will have to pay license fees twice in 2014. In addition to the fees you pay for your new license, you will have to pay renewal fees to renew your license by November 30, 2014. Fees are not prorated and basically cover the cost of processing, reviewing, and decision on the application.
• All salesperson licensees must complete the continuing education requirement prior to the renewal application deadline to successfully renew on an active status, unless you were issued a new salesperson license during calendar year 2014 and renew your license by November 30,
2014. If you were issued a new salesperson license in calendar year 2014 and renew your license by the renewal application deadline, you will be deemed to have completed the equivalent to the continuing education requirement and will not have to complete the continuing education requirement for this license renewal.
• If your new salesperson license application deadline is on or after December 31, 2014 and you do not desire to be licensed as a salesperson in 2014, and the licensing renewal application period is in effect, you may submit your complete salesperson license application during the renewal application period and request that your new salesperson license be effective January 1, 2015. Please call for specific information on this procedure. The aforementioned continuing education equivalency will not be applicable if licensed in calendar year 2015.
BROKER APPLICANTS and BROKER LICENSEES:
• All broker applicants and broker licensees must complete the continuing education requirement prior to the renewal application deadline in order to successfully renew their salesperson or broker license on an active status.
• If your broker license application deadline is on or after December 31, 2014, and you do not desire to be licensed as a broker in 2014, and you received the renewal application for your salesperson license, you may submit your complete broker license application during the renewal application period (must be received by November 30, 2014) and request that your salesperson license not be renewed and the new broker license be effective January 1, 2015. This procedure does not excuse completion of continuing education requirements for active licensees. Please call for specific information on this procedure.
For more information, please contact our office at 586-2643, or visit our website at www.hawaii.gov/hirec.
THE LAW DOES NOT PROVIDE FOR: PRORATION OF FEES OR REFUND OR CREDIT OF FEES PAID; EXTENSION OF TIME TO APPLY FOR LICENSE; EXTENSION OF TIME TO RENEW A LICENSE.
This material can be made available for individuals with special needs. Please call the Senior Real Estate Specialist at 586-2643 to submit your request.